Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default installing gas lines to pool heater

On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 6:41:31 PM UTC-4, Deodiaus wrote:
What's a fair price for a licensed person?

Are there special requirements for a plumber doing the work if he is working with gas instead of water? How do you verify a plumber's qualifications for working with a gas line and validate the insurance policy, i.e. prior to doing the work? Even if the insurance company acknowledges a policy in place, are there clauses that might exclude them from paying out? Do you run the paperwork through some sort of database which shows you if he is qualified and call up his insurance company to verify his credentials. I have heard that sometimes people let their policy lapse, especially if they don't have enough money to cover it. Is this something that is customary to validate? I don't recall anyone taking the effort to validate the credentials, but maybe its because most people fail to validate this. I keep hearing horror stories on my HMO bulletin about shoddy workmanship from places (usually builders and roofers) with a big local presence and wonder how that business survives.

All those are good questions. For something like this, I'd find someone
who's established, licensed as a plumber and appears reputable and see a certificate of insurance. IDK what the specific licensing reqts are for
gas vs water, but I would think any plumber that's licensed in your state
to do residential work would be licensed to do gas. Best thing to do is
ask around for people who are happy with the service they've received.
Also, Angie's List is now free, you could look there for ratings and
feedback. I didn't have much use for them when you had to pay, but
if it's free, it can't hurt to look.

I have checked people out with the BBB, but more times than not, the only way to get a bad rating with the BBB is if you don't pay your dues. That and the fact that the BBB usually sides with the dues paying member despite your having documentation. I have taken a roofer and car mechanic to small claims court and despite having his lost the judgment (not showing up), I find that I get robbed again by trying to collect on the judgment. The agency that offered to collect the payment wanted 50% of the settlement if they collected at all. Mostly, they would harass the delinquent payment in the hopes that he would be shamed to pay off. However, I heard from a lawyer that most people will just ignore you, as this is their best option.

I've heard similar about the BBB. I think you have to be pretty bad to get
a bad rating. And agree about the difficulty in collecting a judgment.
If it's a real business with a bank account and property, then it can
be done, assuming you're willing to put in the effort or pay someone else,
which then eats into what you get. Bigger problem is that the people
you need to go after the most, ie the shysters, not only don't show up
and ignore collections, but are judgment proof, ie their assets are
hidden, in someone else's name, etc.