Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
~misfit~[_3_] ~misfit~[_3_] is offline

Default Cutting Plexiglass (Perspex)

Once upon a time on usenet Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I've had a lot of trouble cutting acrylic on a table saw, or drilling.
The problem has been chipping on the back side. I haven't tried
backing it with a piece of wood - that should help.

What does work very well for giving a nice edge is a router. Not very
convenient for cutting into pieces, but nice for cutting shapes to a
template, or for finishing edges that have been cut with too much
chipping.

I worked in a high-end cabinet making workshop and have used a free-hand
spindle moulder before for cutting acrylic for kitchen drawer fronts etc.
Just fix it to a (thick wooden) template (for the bearing to run on) with
double sided tape and Bob's your uncle.

A small spindle moulder can be made using a decent router.
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)