Posted to sci.electronics.design, sci.electronics.repair
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Cutting Plexiglass (Perspex)

On Aug 31, 2017, wrote
(in ):

One thing I learned, never try to drill plexiglass. You will end up with
small cracks around the hole. I once wanted to put some hinges onto
plexiglass and learned the hard way about the cracks. Then I used a
soldering iron and melted holes. It was kind of messy, sicne the melted
plastic builds up around the hole and needs to be quickly removed while
it's still hot and soft, but that did work in the end. (The soldering
iron tip was pretty much trash though, I ssaved it for future plexiglass
holes, but would never try to solder with it).

When drilling plastics like plexiglass, one does it flooded with tap water,
to prevent overheating amd melting into a gooey mess. Do not use oil - this
will crack most plastics.

Joe Gwinn