Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default installing gas lines to pool heater

On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 7:11:16 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 8/31/2017 3:32 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, August 30, 2017 at 10:48:51 PM UTC-4, Deodiaus wrote:
I am trying to install gas lines to a new heater. I have existing 25 yo pipes.
http://memphis.craigslist.org/lbg/6282864510.html

1) I think I have three choices. What are the pros/cons of my approaches.

A) I can replace the 3/4 pipe after the reducer with a longer piece. Replace the pipe right before the spigot with a longer piece. Add a piece from the coupler to the gas insert.
I like this because it seems to avoid adding more joints, but upsets existing work.

B) [out-down-forward] I can add a pipe coming out of the heater to an elbow joint (or tee), run a pipe down to another elbow joint and to the left into the spigot.
This avoids touching as much of the current work.

C) [out-forward-down] I can run a pipe out of the heater to a elbow (preferable a tee valve with a plug in the far side), run a pipe forward to an elbow join and down into the spigot.
This too avoids touching as much of the current work.

2) Should I replace all the existing above ground pipe since I am working already. It has a bit of rust on it, but not too much. How much worse is this going to be in another 25 years if I don't replace it all now? Mind you, this is a lot more work, but I have someone helping me who has done a lot of piping as a maintenance man.

3) Should I put the pool heater up higher on 2" bricks to give me better access if I need to service it in the future without having to disconnect piping. It is on a concrete slab.

4) I was thinking of adding in a tee join with a plug in case I decide to add another connection in the future.

I would replace most or all of the above ground pipe in that picture because I wouldn't want to look at it next to a new pool heater. I believe a sediment trap is required by code too. Is the rest of the underground galvanized wrapped and taped properly, to code? I've seen galvanized installed incorrectly underground fail, corroded away in just 5 years. I sure wouldn't take that job for $50 and it would be illegal here unless you're a licensed plumber. There are electrical safety issues too, eg the heater needs to be properly bonded. Having to ask how to do it, hiring someone off Craigslist for $50, to install a gas pool heater, doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Â* AFAIK the current installation doesn't meet Shelby County building
codes , I'd have to ask a (former brother-in-law) plumbing inspector tp
be certain . He should re-plumb the whole thing with black iron pipe ,
and have it done by a licensed plumber - and 50 bucks ain't gonna cover
itÂ* . If MLG&W got a look at that mess his gas would be cut off until it
was corrected . Or maybe not , that's a "nice" neighborhood , unlike the
part of town where our house is .

Â* --

Â* Snag

I see it's missing a sediment trap, but that's the only thing not to code that I see. Galvanized is permitted here and it's what's used outside, above ground, here.