Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Artemus[_4_] Artemus[_4_] is offline

Default Cutting Plexiglass (Perspex)

"Dave M" wrote in message
Anyone have experience in accurately cutting 1/8" thick acrylic Plexiglas (Perspex) for LED
displays?

I need to make filters for some panel meters of my own design, but am having trouble finding
off-the-shelf bezels and filters of the sizes I need.
Before everyone tells me that there are cheap Chinese panel meters available on the web, I already
know about them. My meters are for a unique application and the available digital panel meters
can't be modified to fill my needs. The display is the really unique part, and I need to make my
own filters for the displays. I need 3 different sizes; 1.25" x 2.5". 2.75" x 5" and 4" x 5".

I've thought about using a table saw with a cabinet-grade finishing blade. That's possible, but
somewhat dangerous due to the small size of the filters.
Also thought about hot wire cutting. That's quite possible, relatively safe (just have to keep
fingers off the hot wire). Might be hard to keep the wire taut enough to make straight cuts, and
guiding the plastic through the wire or the wire through the plastic.
Also thought about cutting on a drill press or milling machine. Again, a bit dangerous due to the
small size of the work. Clamping would be tricky.

Any suggestions as to a good, safe approach to cutting the plastic?

Dave M
Make and use a small parts sled to hold the pieces and keep your fingers out of

harms way. Do a search for "woodworking small parts sled" for an assortment
of photos and plans. Use the tablesaw to just score the plastic. Don't cut all the
way through. Snap on the score lines and file off any rough edges. A propane torch
will polish the edges to a glass like finish. Practice on a scrap first as it's easy to
burn the edge.
Art