Posted to alt.home.repair
Taxed and Spent Taxed and Spent is offline

Default How can we tell our drive was actually properly slurry sealed

On 8/30/2017 8:04 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, August 30, 2017 at 1:55:18 AM UTC-5, June Bug wrote:
We just got our common asphalt driveway "sealed" where the asphalt company
was a family who didn't finish the job (they didn't seal the cracks for
example).

We can't get them to come back, so we've stopped the checks we could stop.

They stole some of our tools. And now we wonder if they used "quality"
materials (probably not - but how can we tell?)

We contracted them to do 3 thingsevery 5 years is our goal)
1. Shovel the drainage clear
2. Seal cracks
3. Seal the asphalt

How can we tell if they did a good job or used good materials?

Here are some pictures.

They didn't expose the paved drainage slope (we dug in 2' more).
https://s26.postimg.org/6na637bxl/001_seal.jp

We exposed this 2-foot drainage slant - how important is this slope?
https://s26.postimg.org/9in9a2fxl/002_seal.jpg

How can we tell if this "slurry" coat is good stuff?
https://s26.postimg.org/6d2njuxbd/003_seal.jpg

In most places, the cracks were not sealed (and we can't get them back!)
https://s26.postimg.org/dhp26mtyh/004_seal.jpg

Here's a rough berm section.
https://s26.postimg.org/6tsgk1ag9/005_seal.jpg

Some of the cracks are two inches wide and ten inches deep.
https://s26.postimg.org/vgxi92z3d/006_seal.jpg

The only place they went to the real edge was where WE dug it out.
https://s26.postimg.org/56lbz7lt5/007_seal.jpg

008_seal.jpg
They didn't scrape these old flakes off first (we did).
https://s26.postimg.org/i1tblz12h/008_seal.jpg

009_seal.jpg
But mainly we are upset about these unpatched cracks.
https://s26.postimg.org/y2v3qfdpl/009_seal.jpg

010_seal.jpg
Some of the cracks are a foot deep.
https://s26.postimg.org/qbedrv9k9/010_seal.jpg

011_seal.jpg
How can we tell if this "slurry" is quality material?
https://s26.postimg.org/73r8v9r8p/011_seal.jpg

012_seal.jpg
Does it matter they didn't expose the slanted drainage?
https://s26.postimg.org/qk7d41wyx/012_seal.jpg

013_seal.jpg
Some cracks seem sealed while others seem not sealed.
https://s26.postimg.org/57zv6dd0p/013_seal.jpg

014_seal.jpg
In some places, they just stopped midcrack with the seal.
https://s26.postimg.org/s86iipauh/014_seal.jpg

015_seal.jpg
How can we tell if this crack seal is done right?
https://s26.postimg.org/nxrun45rd/015_seal.jpg

016_seal.jpg
Is there any way to tell if the seal is good material?
https://s26.postimg.org/yw345aucp/016_seal.jpg

017_seal.jpg
In the future, is it possible to seal cracks ourselves?
https://s26.postimg.org/oxi5itkx5/017_seal.jpg

018_seal.jpg
One odd thing is these scratches they put in the "seal"?
https://s26.postimg.org/4ourx3lm1/018_seal.jpg

019_seal.jpg
How do we know the seal is done right?
https://s26.postimg.org/crsy8f67d/019_seal.jpg

You have been taken really well. Didn't you watch while the work was being done????

are they real contractors with a contractors license? Do they need to
be in your jurisdiction? Have you paid them? What recourse do you have
with various authorities, such as the contractors licensing board?