Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Engine knock

On Tue, 29 Aug 2017 21:09:10 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 29 Aug 2017 21:49:56 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

Ignoramus8901 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C3OReUPPuQ

Would you say it sounds like a rod knock?

A rod knock would mostly follow the crank RPMs. I'm thinking that sounded
slower, so might be a bent pushrod, stuck valve, something like that. Rod
knocks are kind of low thumps, something in the valve train usually gives a
sharper tap tap.

Possibly a rod, but does sound a lot like a collapsed lifter.

But, REALLY hard to tell from a youtube video. You might pull the valve
cover and see if there's anything obvious, either static or with it running.

Yes, hard to tell from a video. Pop the rocker cover and look for
only 7 of the 8 valves depressing.

-
I am a Transfinancial--A rich person born in a poor person's body.
Please stop the hate by sending me money to resolve my money
identity disorder. --anon

at idle it's hard to tell, but thar "double knock" on decel is
classic rod bearing rap.