Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tim R[_2_] Tim R[_2_] is offline

Default What can I buy at Walmart for dial string?

On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 5:21:54 PM UTC-4, John-Del wrote:
On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 4:12:58 PM UTC-4, Tim R wrote:
The old fashioned black braided Dacron line is what you want, in about a 30 pound strength.

I'm not sure you can use a fast rule like that. The two links I posted for show radically different diameters for the same pound weight.

This company:

https://tuf-line.com/product/braided-dacron/

Shows their 30LB test as 0.712mm and this company:

http://www.eposeidon.com/kastking-fo...d-fishing-line

shows their 30LB test as 0.25mm

Best think to do is check with each manufacturer and pick by diameter not pound weight.

Yes, that's what I'm trying to explain. That kastking is called braid but it's the modern stuff, not the old cheap line.

It's okay for fishing but you absolutely don't want to put it in a radio at any strength or diameter. It's super slippery, hard to tie a knot that will hold, and it has no abrasion resistance. But it's diameter is tiny so fish don't see it, and it casts very well.