Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Does DIY include making Xmas puddings?

In article ,
writes:
On Tuesday, 29 August 2017 10:05:54 UTC+1, Rob Graham wrote:
My wife used to make a batch of 6 or so at that this time of year when
required, so I hunted out the card for the recipe handed down over
several generations. Seems simple enough apart from managing the 8
hours steaming. But it uses breadcrumbs - is there a guru here who
knows if this can be wholemeal or does it have to be white bread ?

Either, but wholemeal is more likely to stand up to the weight of the fruit and give a lighter but more fibrous texture.

The xmas cake I think I will bow out of!

You can buy a ready made cake, inject it with alcohol, and then cover it with ready to roll fondant icing.

My grandmother used to make the family Christmas puddings, but she
died over 20 years ago. There were a couple in stock we used for the
following 2 years, but since then, I buy them (usually in a sale after
the previous Christmas as they keep forever), and from about a month
before Christmas, I regularly water with a suitable brandy or whatever
is to hand. That works really well. I flambé them on the day too with
hot bandy poured over.

--
Andrew Gabriel