Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Power backup ideas

Since then I did get a regular 5500w generator that I have never used
in 6 years. It is still in the box.

I'm not sure if it's true or not - I once heard that after years of
un-use - the magnets field magnets ? can lose their
magnetic-ness or sumpthin'
http://www.engineersedge.com/motors/...d_flashing.htm
So your unused engine might still work fine but the generator won't.
John T.

SOMETIMES they require a re-flash - but generally not from sitting.
More likely from improper shut-down. (Shutting of the generator under
full load is almost guaranteed to yield a dead generator).
Different methods for brush type and brushless excitation - Be
carefull!!

Mine has run out of gas a few times under load
probably not full load with no issues.
I do try to catch it and shut down before this happens ..
.... not sure about the excitation on my Honda EM5000 ?
ps: I once worked at the 25 Hz generating station at the
foot-of-the-Falls .. Niagara that is - the exciters were the size
of a bloated 45 gallon drum ; the governors were on the mezzanine
above - powered by a huge long flat belt - quite-the-classroom !
John T.