Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Power backup ideas

On Sun, 27 Aug 2017 10:56:12 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 27 Aug 2017 08:51:17 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

I just put a new APC on my desktop. Old one had dead battery and
momentary power failure that crashes computer can be a real problem.
APCs are fairly cheap and easier to just get a new one than new battery.

I have a bunch of APCs around here, picked up for free because people
think like you. It takes a couple minutes to swap a battery. The
little oval plastic ones (500-600w) don't even require using any
tools. Just slide the cover off the bottom and the battery falls out.
The bigger ones have a cover in front you take off (2 screws) and he
batteries come out.
The batteries are pretty cheap online.

A heck of a lot cheaper just down the street than paying shipping, for
me. I have at least 4 wholesale suppliers I deal with within a 15
minute drive across town and one retail establishment within easy
walking/cycling distance where I can buy them - getting them
IMMEDIATELY for the same or less than online pricing including
shipping - and in Canadian Dollars vs American (20-30% difference).
I have 7 units here - 3 of them full "on-line" units that DO give
100% clean isolated power, at least one other being "line interactive"
and 2 being "commercial/indistrial" models - not cheap"domestic duty"
or "commodity" types.
I service about 35 APC Back-Ips units for one customer - and they are
pretty crappy. They generally outlast 2 battery changes - but aften
die during the life of the 3rd or 4th battery - and some of them (the
250 va units iirc) require a "backwards" battery that is difficult to
source other than from APC, and significantly more expensive. They
also appear to be simple square wave devices (reading in the low 80s
AC volts on a typical voltmeter) while the better "stepped" or "quasi
sine" units read in the nineties - (and my onlines, being full sine
wave reat 117 to 127 depending on how rhey are adjusted)