Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Power backup ideas

On Sunday, August 27, 2017 at 7:41:11 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 8/27/2017 6:52 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Sunday, August 27, 2017 at 6:10:54 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Since then I did get a regular 5500w generator that I have never used
in 6 years. It is still in the box.

I'm not sure if it's true or not - I once heard that after years of
un-use - the magnets field magnets ? can lose their
magnetic-ness or sumpthin'

http://www.engineersedge.com/motors/...d_flashing.htm

So your unused engine might still work fine but the generator won't.

John T.

Al he has to do is drop his pants to flash the generator and shock it back into working again. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Shocked Monster

Â* Actually that's not amusing . I fired mine up one day when the power
went out , only to discover no output . The residual magnetic field had
dissipated , leaving me without power . I did figure out how to flash
the field and get it running again - IIRC it was with some help right
here . Now I fire it up at least every couple of months to refresh it .
Â* --
Â* Snag

I've had to flash the field on plenty of gensets I repaired but I kept my pants on. The stationary NG fueled backup gensets I installed were programmed to exercise for 15 minutes a week and I tied them into standard burglar alarm panels to dial a monitoring station on a POTS line when they cranked up. That was back in the 1990's. The new home backup generators of this century are incredibly much more sophisticated. I haven't laid eyes on any of the new ones but from what I've seen on the Web, there's a big WOW factor. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Wow Monster