Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Can I Put A Wet-Dry Vac In A Cabinet?

On Saturday, August 26, 2017 at 3:29:49 PM UTC-4, whit3rd wrote:
On Friday, August 25, 2017 at 4:26:59 AM UTC-7, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I have a 8 gallon wet-dry vac that I want to put inside a cabinet

Don't. Consider, instead, putting the noisy bit outdoors and plumbing
the intake through a wall.

That's not really an option. Climate, location of the shop in the house,
and not to mention that if I were my neighbors/SWMBO I wouldn't want to
hear a wet-dry vac turning on and off at random times until late evening.

Or just putting it in an adjacent room.

That's not really an option. Location of the shop in the house, and not
to mention that if I were my SWMBO I wouldn't want to hear a wet-dry vac
turning on and off at random times until late evening.

A cabinet will just take up space, make the vacuum into a bulky fixture...

The cabinet takes up no room when it is used as the base for the miter
saw and *prevents* the vacuum from being a bulky fixture because the vac
takes up no floor space.

...and waste building materials...

One $30 sheet of plywood is the only thing I had to buy. A few pocket screws
and an old foam mattress topper that I had lying around is all I needed. I
actually used up something bulky that's been hanging around in a closet for
years.

...compared to (for instance) wearing earplugs.

It's not just me that has to put up with the noise. At close to 70 dB, the
bare vac can be heard way beyond the confines of my shop. I'll be posting the
results of my sound readings at various points in the projects. Stay tuned.

Not to mention that earplugs inhibit the ability to listen to tunes, etc.