Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default Power backup ideas

On 8/26/2017 12:59 PM, KenK wrote:
Yesterday my power was off for 7 hours. I survived. I thought
maybe my setup would help others come up with ideas to protect
themselves too.

Of course there are generators, but they are quite expensive
if your power outages are rare.

I use a 12V deep discharge battery and a wall-wart trinkle
charger. I have a little 12V oscillating fan and a small 12V
flouresent light unit. So far this has worked well for me,
even in the 90 degree + temperature inside yesterday. When you
are old as I am the very heavy battery is hard to move around
so plan its home and your usual power outage retreat to be
close.

Perhaps if you have no power backup you might consider
something like this. The battery is by far the most expemsive
item.

I bought my generator and had transfer panel installed over 10 years ago
but would be interested in today's offerings that can do the whole house
with a generator that does not have the capacity to handle all in the
house. I do not think these systems are super expensive. I could live
with short outages with flashlights and batteries and even well not
pumping water but outages over a day in extremely cold weather can make
the home tough to live in. Also over half day lack of refrigeration
leads to food spoilage.

A few years ago when hurricane remnants were rampant you could not find
a generator to buy but after the storm was gone you might be able to buy
a returned one at half price.