Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Can I Put A Wet-Dry Vac In A Cabinet?

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 20:20:25 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Friday, August 25, 2017 at 11:03:56 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 08:01:50 -0400, G Ross wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
I have a 8 gallon wet-dry vac that I want to put inside a cabinet. Roughly 24" x 24" x 29". The hose
and cord will come through a hole in the side. The door will be a simple overlay style with a latch.

I'm trying to save space but also keep the noise down.

Do I need to add some holes in the back for exhaust? The cabinet certainly won't be air tight, but is
the door and hose hole enough?

Thanks.

It certainly needs an exhaust hole. If it will be used continuously
for any length of time, I would wonder about it overheating.

The exhaust hole needs to be much larger than the suction hose or it,
too, will reduce suction. Given enough exhaust area, I don't think
heat would be a problem. These are usually cooled by the exhaust.

I left the back of the cabinet 1" short of the top. That's a 23 sq in
opening, more than enough. Face frame, door and foam lining will be done
tomorrow. I might have room for one baffle shelf, but definitely not 2.
I'll see how it sounds without it first.

Try it with the door open and closed. If there is no difference, you
have enough exhaust opening.

Between the exhaust fan, the router table extension for the table saw
and this dust collection cabinet, I'm spending way too much time working
*on* the shop instead of *in* the shop. ;-)

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to do much of either. :-(