Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How N. Korea suddenly had ICBMs that work

On 8/25/2017 3:28 PM, WbKKlu *ighty Wannabe YGUzRT wrote:

As I said before, you need at least three nozzles so that you can
make
the rocket go whatever direction you want it to go (by adjusting the
power of each individual nozzle):

* Ah , but you're wrong MidgetWannabe . Do a web search for "vectored
thrust" and the light might dawn in your microbrain . For an example ,
Space Shuttle SRB's used a rubber/steel/rubber/steel/etc (I think it was
called) vectored thrust bearing . That nozzle could move several degrees
from straight in any direction . And those ****ers were a bitch to cut
apart for refurb and re use . I spent a few years at Thiokol's Wasatch
Division , first in the LMCP and later in a development lab . Got a
commemorative* belt buckle cast in part from steel that was used in one
of the motor cases used for the first shuttle flight - I was on the crew
that cast the propellant into those big *******s .

* --

* Snag