Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Hook on hollow core door

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 10:51:58 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

I need to add a hook to the basement bathroom door.

I see the holes from the last owner, but of course they didn't hold.

I know there are anchors made for this, but they don't look secure, and if they do come out they're going to damage the door even more.

My idea is to bridge the door with a thin board from stile to stile, screwed into the wood at the edge of the door. Then use a toggle bolt through the board.

Any obvious flaw in that? Anybody know how wide those wood pieces are?

I could also hang from the top rail down, I guess.

I think the stiles and rails use 2x2 inch material in hollow core
doors. They would be strong enough to hold a hook.

Search for "over the door hooks bathroom" less quotation. They hang
over the top of the door and have no mounting or potential damage to a
hollow door. We (my wife) uses them here at home.

Sample:

https://toilettreeproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/bamboo-towel-hooks-3-hook.jpg