Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Can I Put A Wet-Dry Vac In A Cabinet?

On Friday, August 25, 2017 at 11:11:53 AM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:
On 8/25/17 6:26 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I have a 8 gallon wet-dry vac that I want to put inside a cabinet.
Roughly 24" x 24" x 29". The hose and cord will come through a hole
in the side. The door will be a simple overlay style with a latch.

I'm trying to save space but also keep the noise down.

Do I need to add some holes in the back for exhaust? The cabinet
certainly won't be air tight, but is the door and hose hole enough?

Thanks.

If it chokes it down, you know you need a port somewhere.
Personally, I would think the cabinet doors would act like an air check
valve when the vac is on. Meaning the air pressure would push the doors
out a but to let the air out.

That is why I mentioned the simple overlay door. Plywood on a face frame is certainly not going to be airtight. A loose latch would allow it open a little, although more sound will escape. That's
why any opening that I might need would be in the back of cabinet. I'm sure the difference would
be minimal, but just as easy to do, maybe even easier. Just cut the back panel 3-4" short.

You could always make your own one-way vent by putting a hole in the
cabinet and tacking a rubber flap across it. Most cars have this system
somewhere on the vehicle for when the heater/AC blower fan in on. On
pick-ups, it's behind the seats on the back panel wall.

I'm not sure I see the point of that. When the vac is on the flap will open and
the air will escape. When the vac Is off, the flap will close and, well, and *what*?

What would be the advantage of a one-way vent over just an opening in the back to let
the exhaust air escape? What would I be trying to keep out?