Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Radial X2-AC Safety Capacitors (Question)

On Thursday, 24 August 2017 19:37:11 UTC+1, rickman wrote:
tabbypurr wrote on 8/24/2017 2:22 PM:
On Thursday, 24 August 2017 18:53:09 UTC+1, rickman wrote:
John-Del wrote on 8/24/2017 1:38 PM:

Across the line use a type X cap, and 250V is fine. You could (should) add a fuse in between the cap and the line for an extra margin of safety.

I thought the X and Y capacitors were used when a short would be a safety
problem as in a shock hazard. Why would there be a shock hazard if a cap
across the power line shorts? If you use a fuse any concern about a fire is
eliminated. Then why would you need the X cap?

Y is for shock risk, X is for fire risk only.

Ok, I stand corrected. But the question remains. Fuse and X cap is like
wearing a belt and suspenders.

You need belt & suspenders since both fail. Just don't put the pics online.

NT