Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Additional tap for unsoftened water?

On 2017-08-23, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote

As part of a major refurb I'm planning to install a water
softener that will provide softened water to all the existing
hot/cold taps, but I want to add a tap for unsoftened water
in a few places (kitchen, bathroom, ensuite).

Why ?

Hard water might possibly be very marginally healthier than softened
water. http://www.ukwta.org/technology-areas/faqs/
And some people prefer the taste of hard/unsoftened water (possibly
just because it's what they are used to).

Yeah, I was essentially asking if it was for medical or just
preference/taste
reasons. I should have said that less cryptically.

And do you want that with just the cold water or both hot and cold ?

I doubt anyone drinks water from the hot bathroom or ensuite taps.

Dunno why someone who lives alone who can spend some time in bed
for medical reasons might well want to fill the jug from there instead of
hiking out to the kitchen every time they want a hot drink etc.

Filling a kettle from a hot tap can make sense, but I can't see
anyone bothering with a separate unsoftened hot tap for that.

He clearly does for some reason and if he mostly drinks hot drinks, why not
?