Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Radial X2-AC Safety Capacitors (Question)

On Thursday, 24 August 2017 18:20:22 UTC+1, wrote:

I want to replace the original capacitor which is located across the AC
power line in a Zenith Trans Oceanic (tube radio). The original cap is a
.047 at 600V (standard capacitor). I was told that these days, standard
caps are no longer used across the AC power line. Instead, they use
these Radial X2-AC Safety Capacitors.

What I'm finding is that these caps are available, but I am not finding
any of them rated at 600V. All I can find are rated at 250 or 275VAC,
and I did find some .1uf on ebay for 300VAC.
Sal's Capacitors http://www.tuberadios.com/capacitors
has a .047uf at 275VAC on their webpage.

One rule I never violate is the voltage rating of parts. I'll go OVER
but never UNDER the original voltage rating.

However, the old caps were rated at DC voltages, whereas these Safety
Caps are rated at AC voltages. I would think that 275V is sufficient to
use across a 120V AC power line (which is what they are made for).

Therefore, is is safe to use these to replace the original cap, since I
can not find any rated at 600V?

I know this will not be the first radio needing a replacement cap across
the power line, so if I order one of these caps, I'd rather order
several so I have them on hand. That leads me to a second question:
How critical is the uf rating on these line caps? In other words, if I
use a .1uf instead of a .047uf, will that cause any problems, or is the
.1uf offering more protection against power line spikes?

Thanks

275v ac X-rated is safer than a vanilla 600v DC type.

NT