Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxxx Fredxxx is offline

Default Additional tap for unsoftened water?

On 23/08/2017 20:48, Rod Speed wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
news
wrote:
As part of a major refurb I'm planning to install a water softener that
will provide softened water to all the existing hot/cold taps, but I
want to add a tap for unsoftened water in a few places (kitchen,
bathroom, ensuite). I'd prefer not to change the existing basins and
taps because they're in keeping with the (30s) house so I need to add an
additional tap, somehow, at these locations - the question is ... how?

I think it's generally agreed that adding extra taps other than by the
kitchen sink is overkill. You're not going to be drinking significant
quantities of water from other taps (or can at least easily avoid doing
so).

Dunno. If I was into drinking unsoftened water for some reason,
I'd prefer to have it available wherever I ever drink much water,
particularly in the ensuite etc than to have to fart around getting
it from the kitchen for what I drink at night etc.

Corse that raises the question why its planned to have softened
water everywhere.

On second thoughts, my diverter isnt a great idea if you want
if for drinking water because say one person in the household
is into non softened water for drinking for some reason.

Not convinced that there is any really viable way to do it in the
ensuite and bathroom particularly given that most basins etc
are designed for just two taps.

Are you aware that softened water had an increased sodium content?
http://www.ukwta.org/technology-areas/faqs/