Hugo Nebula

Default Building Notices

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 15:38:24 -0000, a particular chimpanzee named
"steve" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

This is quite an area of debate I feel & I want to get the groups opinion on
Building Notice notification. snip More recently however when I
had a single window replaced and a change to a load bearing wall, the
council bod was clearly disinterested and didn`t even look at the window -
it could of been made out of cardboard for all he cared, and I began to
think what is the point of me wasting my time & money on the council if they
aren`t that bothered..

I'm not sure what you're complaint is here. You can't infer that you
can 'get away' without putting in a Building Regulations application
just because the Surveyor didn't do cartwheels over your replacement
window. It may have been at the end of a busy day, his cat may have
just died, or it may just have been me.

When you say he didn't look at the replacement window, did he not see
it at all? If the window still has the 'K-glass' sticker on and is a
24mm unit, then it's obvious that it complies. After a year & a half
of looking at replacement windows, you sort of get to know what a
compliant window looks like without having to look too closely.

A builder (reputable) I was speaking to recently mentioned that he (or his
clients) only submitted notices when the works were major
The minor jobs he commented weren`t even worth notifying since they would
stand little chance of being noticed or found out (assuming they were done
to a satisfactory standard).

This is very probably true. Most of the time, unauthorised work only
comes to light when a house is being sold and the purchaser's
solicitors are asking for copies of the completion certificates.
Unless it's obvious (such as a loft conversion, or a door with new
brickwork around it), then it may never emerge that a Building
Regulations application was needed but not submitted.
--
Hugo Nebula
"The fact that no-one on the internet wants a piece of this