Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] topbuilder1234@yahoo.com is offline

Default How do welding shade numbers add up? Eclipse viewing.

On Friday, August 18, 2017 at 8:29:51 PM UTC-5, Neon John wrote:
On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 10:11:41 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 17 Aug 2017 12:47:53 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

you can not stack the lens, can still have severe damage, this is coming directly from NASA.

Direct from NASA, who also gave us Global Warming.

That's total BS from NASA.

Last time I looked platinum was $1,100 per troy ounce. How many ounces to a BB again?

The sun's color temperature after the light has filtered through the
atmosphere is about 5200 deg. My company makes custom induction
heaters. We got a commission to design and build a platinum
reclaiming furnace. Since a BB of platinum is worth about $4000, I
used boiling copper as the substitute during development. Copper
boils at 4644 deg F - very close to the sun's intensity. I used a
welding hood with stacked #8 filters to comfortably observe and
photograph the furnace. Yet the sun, which is just a few hundred
degrees away will somehow commit voodoo on welding filters? BS.

So, you're steering people into buying the cardboard and mylar eclipse
viewing glasses from the Dollar Tree, are ya?

The ones with both ANSI and UL certification are OK. They're still
uncomfortable to use since the sun's reflection off one's cheeks
reflected off the back side of the glasses causes strong eye strain.

I don't have any of that black makeup that athletes use under their
eyes so strips of black electrical tape will substitute.

Those are for my wife's use. I'll be using my digital welding hood
that goes up to shade #16. Dialed all the way up, the view of the sun
is comfortable and the hood keeps the heat off my face.

So I've read, a welding arc can reach 9000 deg so if the hood with the
proper filters can handle that it can surely handle the sun at half
the brightness.

I'll take my chances with indirect viewing, thanks. Having used
pinholes in cards before, I know it works and is detailed. Will try
the binoculars this time, directed onto a card underneath, hopefully
with a larger picture than the pinhole.

Have you tested that yet on the sun? I wouldn't expect it to work
very well unless you can mount your binocs on a tripod.

I've fabricated a bracket to hold a stack of welding filters in front
of my camera's lens. I've been practicing on the clear sky sun to
determine what combination of filters makes my camera happy.

With full zoom and digital magnification I can see sunspots. I'm
completely satisfied that this setup is safe for my camera and will
yield fairly spectacular shots.

John
John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com