Dean Hoffman

Default Electrical Question

On 10/27/03 7:44 PM, in article ,
"new" wrote:

The cable guy pointed out that I had about 5.5 amps of current going through
the grounding rod outside my home.

Wondering if this was connected to the flickering light problem I had I
called the electric company (who I must say got right on it in 3 hours).

The wires from the pole coming to the house were rubbing against the tree in
the front yard. The neutral from the pole was virtually cut.

The current in my ground wire as I understand it resulted from the current
going through either of the two hot legs of the 220 to the neutral in the
circuit box that is attached to the neutral coming in from the pole. As
this was cut, the current instead flowed to the ground rod outside (the box
is also grounded to the plumbing system).

My question is: I guess neutral and ground are joined on the neutral bar in
the circuit box. Why goes not the current always flow to ground? WHat am
I forgetting from my ancient BSEE degree?

Also does this mean when I was checking the ground wire of the cable system
(were it is lugged to the ground wire on the way to the ground rod) could I
have fried myself?

Doesn't Kirchoff's Law have something to do with this even if the
"neutral" is good? On a 3 wire service the ground rods and the earth will
form a parallel path with the neutral and there will be a small amount of
current flowing through the rods.
I know livestock operations had some problems with transient voltage with
3 wire hookups. Four wire hookups are recommended now for things like
milking barns etc.

Dean