Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cordless telephones

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 02:03:06 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 01:42:31 +0100, wrote:

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 22:20:04 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"

Our landlines start 01 and 02, and our mobiles start 07.

These days it is not as much an area code as just another 3 digits to
allow more numbers.

But it's mainly a label so you know what you're phoning.

In the US area codes used to be informative but as the phone companies
started running out of numbers, the "area" in area code became less
specific. Some states get by with one area code and there are cities
with 3 or 4. Depending on how they implemented the extra area codes,
some local calls can be dialed with 7 digits, some require 10 (plus
1). I am lucky to be in an area without an "overlay" so I only need 7
digits to call my neighbor.
Because of "number portability" you have no way of knowing if it is a
cell.