Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Car park collapse

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 09:57:19 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 09:27:20 on
Sun, 20 Aug 2017, T i m remarked:

You are probably only seeing a small number of the cars, the front
wheel drive cars having already been moved

The indcident happened at 3.30am, and it was probably pretty empty.
Aren't all the three vehicles shown FWD?

The (what I believe is a) Transit Connect Minibus (not a 'people
carrier' by our normal definitions) certainly is. ;-)

Indeed.

It's registered as a Turneo/Transit,

(I couldn't make the reg out clearly so well done on that).

I believe they do the Tourneo in both the full fat and 'Connect' size
transits so that might not say it all. However, the style and size of
that van looked familiar to me. ;-)

FWIW, and ASFAIC, the full fat transits were originally RWD and then
you had the option or R or FWD but now they may only be in FWD (but
I've not checked). All the Connects are FWD AFAIK (for reasons you
state later).[1]

and I was basing my initial comment
on the fact I couldn't see a rear differential, and there was reportedly
no damage to any vehicles (which would include the underside,
presumably).

I think there would always be some sort of damage if you drop a
vehicle onto components that weren't designed to carry that sort of
weight (like exhausts or sills etc) but you could get lucky and have
it land on say the rear suspension arm mounts (which are generally
quite substantial) you might get away with it. But agreed, not the
sort of 'damage' that you would typically get when you drop a lump of
concrete *on* a vehicle or one fully drops off a ledge etc. ;-)

Confirmed: "Sharing few components with the much larger Transit, the
Transit Connect was based on the front-wheel drive C170 platform shared
with the international Ford Focus".

Quite. Our daughters Connect is parked outside and we have bought
several parts for it that were labeled Focus / Connect / Others
(Transit / Mondeo / Fiesta?).

Cheers, T i m

[1] Except this one: ;-)

https://passionford.com/forum/restor...h-connect.html