Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Car park collapse

In message , at 09:10:06 on Sun, 20 Aug
2017, ARW remarked:
http://www.nottinghampost.com/news/g...city-centre-nc
p-350253

Looking at those, my first thought is that the deck overhang past the
horizontal support is rather large for such a thin deck, especially with
the weight of the vertical fluted fascia panel perched on the end.

Also noticeable that the rear wheels of the silver people carrier are
actually past the horizontal support - compare with other parked cars
whose rear wheels are more or less sitting on the horizontal beam
underneath (see image 23).

Although the people-carrier is nearer the edge, I don't think its bumper
would have hit the parapet. Perhaps they should have roped off that line
of parking bays while they fettled around underneath.

The line of overhanging deck/parapet could have peeled away starting at
the scaffolding near the blue saloon, and running towards the entry/exit
ramps, before being halted by the pit-props.

No vehicle would hit the wall directly. There is (was) an armco barrier
stopping that happening (see images 22 and 26).

Those Armco barriers are not at the ends of parking bays, they are along
the *sides of ramps*.
--
Roland Perry