Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Bram van den Heuvel Bram van den Heuvel is offline

Default What's so special about gear oil that it's 70 bucks a gallon?

Given ,
wrote:

I was a Toyota service manager for a long time. Synthetic NOT
REQUIRED

Clare, can I ask a question about "temperature"?

Today I took a drive to San Francisco, where I took some friends on a tour,
so the car was fully loaded and I could smell the asbestos (or whatever
that smell is) on some of the very steep hills where I had to stop and then
slip the clutch when starting (as cars were behind me).

While the clutch worked for two hundred miles getting there and getting
back, at some point during the high-stress hills, the clutch pedal sort of
just stuck at the low position a couple of times. What would cause that?

Also, at about the same high-stress time, it was hard to get into first and
second gear. Like really hard.

Yet, the hundred miles there and the hundred miles back and the fifty or so
miles in and around the city in lower stress situations, the clutch worked
ok.

Could that be the fluid?
Or something else?

Given the fluid I put in will definitely be GL4 and 75W90 (as per Toyota
specs), would a synthetic matter for this issue?

Or do all transmissions do that?