Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Why do I keep doing it?

Years ago, I made a track saw. 'Twas a torsion box with some slick
rails screwed to the side, that engaged a vertical rib fastened to
as long a straight edge as I could rip with a table saw.

My Skilsaw clamped into the box, and a plunge-cut through the 'back' of the
box revealed the blade to the workpiece.

To keep the box stable, lacking a suitable jig for making a box joint, I hand
dovetailed the corners, tnen planed the bottom surface accurately flat
and affixed a thin hardwood plywood 'back'.

But the side of the box with the guides, had to stay absolutely
straight or the guides would bind, so... that side was good seven-ply plywood.

It's a TERRIBLE nuisance chiseling a dovetail in plywood.

Years later, I wanted a weather-resistant cover for a saw on my back deck,
and got some yellow cedar for the frame, and dovetailed those joints, too.

It's a TERRIBLE nuisance chiseling a dovetail in soft yellow cedar.

And now, with a flimsy wire antenna to mount to a frame, I've got the same
yellow cedar, and am making mortise joints (so some water-resistant
glue will hold). Not only is it a nuisance to chisel it, it doesn't even
take a Forstner bit for a straight hole.

It'll last decades, but takes two days to finish six mortises. Because
it's a TERRIBLE nuisance chiseling in soft yellow cedar.