Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drywall install question

On Thu, 17 Aug 2017 17:01:26 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 17 Aug 2017 16:43:22 -0400,
wrote:

On Thu, 17 Aug 2017 20:14:06 GMT, Iggy
caedfaa9ed1216d60ef78a6f660f5f85_11468@example. com wrote:

replying to Jack, Iggy wrote:
I'm glad you stood up for and went with a Vertical Installation! It's the
*only* right way and gives you the intended Fire Protection. Horizontal is by
and for Hacks.

Exolain please.
Professional drywallers everywhere dissagree with you - and for good
reason.

I understand some drywall installers prefer horizontal installation
but I am curious how NFPA feels about a taped joint vs solid drywall
in the 15 minute fire rating. It is also easy to argue that the taped
joint across the stud bay is not as strong (against impact) as one
that is over the stud.

I believe the NFPA is silent on the subject, and there is never more
than 14.5 inches between supportd (assuming 16 inch centers) The big
advantage is you don't have floor to ceiling joints to telegraph
through every 48 inches, Vertical joints are MUCH more visible than
horizontals due to the way light interacts.