Gary C

Default exterior paint adhering or not?

During the past couple of weeks, we painted the exterior of our house
with Glidden Spred Dura Exterior Satin paint (water based latex),
which was rated high by Consumer Reports. The paint underneath was in
good condition, and we had cleaned and rinsed it beforehand, letting
it dry of course. It required several coats to complete cover the
underlying paint, which seemed very odd. The new paint color is a
pale yellow, and the underlying color was a light, coffee color -- not
very dark but darker than the pale yellow.

Over a week after it was painted, we noticed it starting to blister
after some condensation formed on the sides of the house, and it got
worse after some rain. Most of the bubbles and blisters disappeared
within a coupel of days, but we are wondering if the paint is ever
really going to adhere well. The Glidden rep claims it still will
adhere, but I am very doubtful. I don't know if the Glidden paint is
just bad in general, if we happened to get a bad mixture from the
store, or if our experience is not unusual at all.

I am interested in hearing what others' opinions are. We don't want
to scrape everything that we just painted, and then repaint if we
really don't need to.

Gary