Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default ugly solar installation

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 16 Aug 2017 13:22:31 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Wed 16 Aug 2017 04:37:12a, micky told us...

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 16 Aug 2017 04:52:40 -0400, joe
wrote:

On 08/15/2017 10:28 PM, micky wrote:
I myself don't think solar panels are ugly, only that bloomin'
pipe.

Agreed! I'd penetrate the roof (like a plumbing vent) with PVC
electrical conduit and place the controls in a basement/utility
room.

In my neighborhood post, I suggested that, and added that that
part wouldn't be free. The other part is not free but you don't
have to pay anything in advance. They collect it monthly and also
promise your total bill will be lower or at least not higher than
it has been.

The other pretty big thing they've been putting outside is the
FIOS (fiber optic) cable box.

My DSL keeps taking breaks of some sort. Sometimes the webradio
(a separate program) will play for long periods of time with no
interruption, while the web seems to stop, even email will
sometimes stop. OTOH, sometimes the webradio sometimes stops
while the other things work fine.

A) If I had FIOS would that solve things?
B) Is Verizon intentionally messing with DSL to get people to
change to FIOS, or was it always like this?

I know nothing about Verizon's FIOS. However, in central Phoenix
Cox's fiber optics interface box is always mounted on the rear wall
of the house, as arer other interface and control boxes for other
uses. Cox's Intrnet speed tops out at 300 Mbps. We chose 100 Mbps
and have had amazingly good performance for all purposes, virtually
uninterrupted with the exception of power failures.

That's good to know.

Here the cable TV is in the back yard, but other utilities are in the
front, sewer, water, electric, phone, fiber. We don't have gas, and we
didn't have fiber of course but they put it in the front. Did a good
job in terms of not digging up any more than they had to, and by had to.
Ran the fiber under narrow sidewalks without damaging them, although
they did tear up one wider sidewalk and the replacenment doesn't have
the nice border the original had. I should have called to complain but
I didn't. (Now I don't notice it anymore, but I still should have
complained.)