Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default ugly solar installation

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 16 Aug 2017 17:44:35 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 8/16/2017 5:00 PM, micky wrote:

The solar company gets all the tax benefits and you get the potential
cost liability. You usually have a long term lease that leaves you
liable when you want to sell the house. Not for me.

About 20 years, I think. So you're expected to pay off the loan if you
sell your house? That makes sense.

I guess I was thinking the new owner would take over the contract, but
even if he continued the agreement so they continued to get their
payments, it would be like a subtenant and the original tenant, who had
moved out, would still be ultimately liable for the rent if it doesn't
get paid by the subtenant.

I imagine there are different ways to handle it but I wonder what it
does to the value of the house. Five years in, if the lease was paid off
by the original owner I can se it as a plus. Twenty years later with
old equipment wearing out, it could be a deal killer.

My friend has a big lot and the original builder/owner put in solar
cells on a slanted panel on the ground, with firs or tall bushes hiding
them from the house. They must be 6 or 10 years old now. I was thinking
that they might be old, but at least on the ground they'll be easier to
replace.

The wiring to the house is buried and she kept track at first of the
money she was saving and it made her happy. She asked me about the
installation I posted about here, if they owned the equipement or not.
I think she owns hers.