Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default ugly solar installation

On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 9:11:00 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/16/2017 7:37 AM, micky wrote:

In my neighborhood post, I suggested that, and added that that part
wouldn't be free. The other part is not free but you don't have to pay
anything in advance. They collect it monthly and also promise your
total bill will be lower or at least not higher than it has been.

The solar company gets all the tax benefits and you get the potential
cost liability. You usually have a long term lease that leaves you
liable when you want to sell the house. Not for me.

The other pretty big thing they've been putting outside is the FIOS
(fiber optic) cable box.

My DSL keeps taking breaks of some sort. Sometimes the webradio (a
separate program) will play for long periods of time with no
interruption, while the web seems to stop, even email will sometimes
stop. OTOH, sometimes the webradio sometimes stops while the other
things work fine.

A) If I had FIOS would that solve things?
B) Is Verizon intentionally messing with DSL to get people to change to
FIOS, or was it always like this?

In some areas around here Verizon stopped installing FIOS. It may fix
your problems but talk to your neighbors that have it to see how well it
works for them.

Do you mean that Verizon stopped installing FIOS to new areas not
already served or that V stopped installing it for new customers
in areas that already have it? I thought they just stopped deploying
it to new areas and that occured several years ago.

I don't have FIOS, but I would expect it would be very reliable and fast
like cable internet. DSL has inherent big problems, it tries to use new
tech to push data over old wires.