HA HA Budys Here

Default kitchen electric

From: (Chris Lewis)
Date: 10/30/2003 12:49 PM Eastern Standard Time
According to gg :
thanks...
I understand the split outlet wiring for the outlets/ but a double pole
breaker per outlet,does this mean each outlet is dedicated, so if I want 6
outlets and each is a split receptical I need 12 breakers.it seems like I
will run out of room in the panel by the time the whole kitchen is wired.
please keep giving me ay advise you have ,this is very interesting ,by the
way I'm in jersey if that helps.

Split outlets aren't necessary in the US. Most don't do that and stick with
20A (which I think is the minimum standard).

They're not only not necessary, they're almost impossible unless you use GFCI
breakers and 2 pairs of 12/2 to each outlet location.

Split outlets are necessary in Canada.

Canadian code permits you to share dual breakers across split receptacles
AS LONG AS the receptacles aren't physically adjacent, and you don't do more
than two. Ie: 6 outlets wired split requires 3 dual breakers (6 breakers in
total).

I believe NEC has some sort of adjacency rule too.

It doesn't. a 2-gang duplex "quad" might be 1, 2, 3 or 4 circuits, but 99% of
the time it'll be 1 circuit, and probably not the only pair of receptacles on
that circuit either.

--
Chris Lewis