Chris Lewis

Default GFCI outlets vs. GFCI breakers?

According to Brad :
In article , GeorgeC-
said...
Humbug. While the outlets are cheaper than the breakers, it
depends on how the house is wired as to what would be best.
I have just one protected breaker which serves all of the
outlets required to have such protection in my house. If
you have several circuits that need protection, then a
protected outlet (first in line) would likely be cheapest.

You have one breaker for your kitchen, all of your bathrooms and your
outside outlets?

He said that the breaker was 27 years old, so, it's not controlling any
kitchen outlets [US code] ;-)

These days, it's not possible to run all of the protection-required outlets
off one breaker. US kitchen rules imply 2 seperate breakers as a
bare _minimum_ just for counters.

Canadian rules are worse in this regard. If it required GFI on kitchen
counter outlets, this means a minimum of two two-pole GFI breakers.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est