Posted to alt.home.repair

Default LED bulbs won't turn off in outdoor light/motion sensor base.

On 8/13/17 4:14 PM, Lynster wrote:
replying to Paintedcow, Lynster wrote:
I think you might be on to something with the "Current Draw" theory.
I've got
several dusk/dawn/motion fixtures around the house and thought I'd save
some
"long term" money by replacing the incandescent flood bulbs with LED flood
bulbs. Nope, bad idea... they don't turn off but go into a rapid flashing
(very irritating) mode. When motion is detected, they go on full, but then
when it times out, back to rapid flash. SO to throw more $$ away, I
bought a
couple of new control heads that explicitly state on the box "Works with
LED,
CFL, yada, yada..." Bad news, they do the same thing! I wonde if they
test
this crap before they start selling it?

Buy a cheap mechanical relay rated for the voltage of your system.
It might suck up the odd current in your circuit. Amazon, Ebay, or
maybe your local auto parts store if the circuit is dc. I got this
idea from the resident electrical whiz kid when I was having trouble
with solid state relays.