Posted to alt.home.repair
Unquestionably Confused[_4_] Unquestionably Confused[_4_] is offline

Default Icemaker

On 8/13/2017 10:18 AM, Frank wrote:
On 8/13/2017 9:21 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Sat 12 Aug 2017 08:01:09p, Unquestionably Confused told us...

[snip]
I would not buy a refrigerator with an ice maker. With only 2 of us it
is not bothersome to put water in plastic trays. I hear about these
things leaking and breaking down all the time.

Generally, I think, they are pretty reliable. We've had icemakers in
our refrigerator for the past 43 years and only had problems with the
first one which was traced to the solenoid getting gunked up due to
unsoftened water. Cured that temporarily by cleaning up the valve and
later cured it permanently with an in-line filter cartridge before
connecting to the ice maker. Second one absolutely no problem with it.
Third one, LG French Door with water/ice in the door, again, no problems.

We find the convenience of cubed or crushed ice in the door to be very
handy. YMMV.