Posted to alt.home.repair
KenK KenK is offline

Default Wall switch question

Stormin' Norman wrote in
:

On 11 Aug 2017 16:30:38 GMT, KenK wrote:

My ceiling light in my bedroom conked out this morning, I grabbed a
VOM and removed the cover from the wall switch to see if it was
working, Unfortunately instead of the four connections I was expecting
there were only two, I assume the hot line in and out. Without access
to the neutral I can't use the voltmeter to see if the switch is
working, I rashly assume the neutrals are connected together on the
back of the switch. Is there any way I can check this switch without
removing it?

If I decide to remove it how can I find the correct power breaker to
turn off since the light it feeds doesn't work. I can't just flip
breakers until the light goes off.

Suggestions - besides call an electrictian and spend a bunch of my
sparse money?

Did you already check the light bulb and, breakers for one that might
be tripped?

All the other power in the bedroom is ok so I didn't check the breakers.
I did try replacing both bulbs - no help.

These days, I find that SPST light switches rarely go
bad. Did you remove the bulb and test the socket with your VOM?

Since there are two sockets and new bulbs worked in neither I didn't
check the socket voltage. Since the lighr fixture is over the bed it's
very difficult to make that meaurement.

You can acquire a very inexpensive non-contact voltage tester that
will safely let you determine if the hot leg is energized without
removing the switch. See:

https://www.amazon.com/Tacklife-Non-...V-1000V-Detect
or/dp/B01N99D3MS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1502469465&sr=8-3&keywords=elec
trical+tester

As a last resort, you can turn off the main breaker for the residence
then safely remove the switch for testing.

Then I can't see what I'm doing. No one to hold a flashlight.