Posted to alt.home.repair
David Farber David Farber is offline

Default Replacing older Kenmore washing machine timer.

The model number is 110.26912691. The problem is the timer control knob just
spins but does not actually rotate the timer mechanism therefore there is no
way to start the washing cycle. I am trying to help someone in a remote
location replace the timer. The main problem is that they can't figure out
how to remove the control knob. I looked at my own Kenmore washing machine
from 1998 and all you have to do is to get access to the back of the timer,
then use some needle nose pliers and pull the crescent shaped center pin 3/8
of an inch. Then the knob comes off very easily. I watched a few youtube
videos showing one method where you push the knob in and then turn the knob
counter-clockwise. That method doesn't seem to work. The knob spins freely
and won't unscrew. Here is a photo of the back side of the timer.
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...timer-back.jpg

Can you tell from the photo what needs to pushed, pulled, twisted, or turned
to remove the control knob?

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber