Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Cleaning a MIG liner

Terry Coombs wrote:
On 8/9/2017 2:20 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 14:02:47 -0500
Terry Coombs wrote:

I have one that's not feeding well , and wonder if it can - and
should - be cleaned . I have a new one on hand , but it's sized for
.035-.045 wire , and I usually use .025 solid . I have .035 flux core
loaded right now , but that was for an outside job that was blowing my
shield gas away and I'd much prefer to go back to solid - I also have
some .030 on hand but haven't yet tried it .

I've heard of guys doing it but usually it's just for finishing a job,
like on a weekend and no-obtanium till Monday...

I was working on a Miller 250MP last winter for a friend and I could
find replacement liners for ~$12 on Ebay. This was a liner for .024
to .035 wire. The only hard part was identifying the part number
needed. His gun wasn't easily recognizable and had the part numbers
worn off.

I think you should check replacement pricing first, don't think it will
be that much. Probably around $25 or less...

A new liner and drive roller came in the mail today from USAWeld .
Under 30 bucks for both delivered , $9/liner and $14/roller plus
shipping . The old liner has only had about 12-13 lbs of .025 wire thru
it . I suspect the problem is from infrequent use and some flash rust on
my wire . Try as I might , it's really hard to keep the humidity down in
the shop - I do have a 6k BTU AC unit out there , but don't run it all
the time due to the cost .

--

Snag

Pull the liner, coil it up and soak it in some evaporust for about 2-3
hours. Remove it and blow out the excess.

For the wire, make a wire scrubber an attach it just before the drive
rollers. Mine is a chunk of brake line tubing with a flared end and
filled with stainless steel wool with some lube-matic weld wire lube.
Wire goes in sort of dark and scruffy, comes out the other end nice and
shiny and feeds like crap through a goose...
I have the same issue, the MIG sets in the corner and gets used maybe
once a month.

--
Steve W.