The Natural Philosopher

Default Fitting aerial on roof - how to get up there!

nightjar wrote:

"David Aldridge" wrote in message

I need to change the aerial on my roof, and I was hoping for some useful
advice before I go up there. The problem is, that the roof is a little
unusual - rather than the normal inverted 'v' there are also side angles

too

which are quite sheer.

That is a Mansard roof, named for a French Renaissance architect (whose name
was actually Mansart). I would not consider it unusual, although it is
probably more widely used in continental Europe.

I thiught it was a Dutch Gable actually.

So any kind soul feel like giving me some advice? - even if it's 'get a
professional'. (in which case how much do you think that might cost?)

Personally, I always get aerials fitted by a professional. It is relatively
inexpensive and, as I always seem to live in a marginal area, it avoids me
having to spend ages on a roof, trying to get the best signal strength.

If you do want to DIY, you need a ladder that will run up to the ridge at
the join of the two roof slopes and a roof ladder to take you from there to
the top ridge. I have always fitted a row of strong eye bolts, about every
four feet or so, under my gutters. I use a rope to a couple of those to
secure the top of any ladder I am going to use to access the roof from. You
should also lash the access ladder to the roof ladder, when you have it in
position. Stepping over the top of the access ladder onto the roof ladder is
always the fun bit.

Colin Bignell