George E. Cawthon

Default Chain and bar oil

Unless you can ge 30 weight oil for less than 75 cents per
quart, then buy Poulan or other bar oil for $2.97 per
gallon.

If you are getting free 30 weight oil then add some Motor
Honey or STP (thick stuff) and use that. My father in law
had a lot of 30 weight oil and some 20 weight oil which he
gave to me. I added 4-5 ounces of Motor Honey per gallon
and use that for many many cords of wood over many years. I
draw filed the bar about 2 times but never needed to buy a
new bar over a 15 year period. This included a lot of
cutting of dirty wood and cutting into sandy ground, so I
used up several chains sharpening the teeth, but never saw
any adverse effects that could be attributed to what I used
for bar oil. Make sure you grease that roller wheel
frequently (each tank of gas) or cutting session if you use
less than a tank of gas.

Make sure that you sharpen the saw frequently. Many (most?
people) never learn to sharpen the chain and waste huge
amounts of time with a dull chain. The other day while
walking in my subdivision, I saw a guy who had just cut down
a fir or spruce and was cutting a block off the 12-15 inch
diameter end. When I first saw him up ahead about 100 feet,
he had started the cut and when he I was past about 100 feet
he had only managed to saw about 3 inches into the cut.
Heck, I could have given each tooth a quick 2 swipes with a
file and have sawed the block off in the same length of
time. Even if you are a neophyte, you can put the saw blade
in a vise and slowly and carefully file each tooth with a
simple file guide(same number of strokes and same pressure
for each tooth) in less than 15 minutes and have a fast
cutting chain for a cord or so.

Michael Baugh wrote:

What is it? Is there a commonly used equivalent, such as
30 weight non-detergent?