Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cleaning a MIG liner

On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 16:10:03 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 8/9/2017 3:06 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 14:02:47 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

I have one that's not feeding well , and wonder if it can - and
should - be cleaned . I have a new one on hand , but it's sized for
.035-.045 wire , and I usually use .025 solid . I have .035 flux core
loaded right now , but that was for an outside job that was blowing my
shield gas away and I'd much prefer to go back to solid - I also have
some .030 on hand but haven't yet tried it .

--

Snag

They can be cleaned..assuming its actually dirty enough to be an
issue. Most often..they have a kink in the liner somewhere.

Clean em by spoozing kerosene through the liner with compressed air,
after giving them a bit of a soak in a coffee can filled with kerosene
(or diesel etc etc)

No kinks , I have it out of the lead . I was thinking maybe a
kerosene soak as you suggested . Per your post above , it's not rusty in
the liner/lead/gun , it's the roll of wire inside the machine that has
some surface rust . It doesn't help that this machine lives on the lower
level of the cart I modified to carry the TIG setup . And sometimes when
it rains really really heavy a little water comes in under the door .

Perhaps it's time to put a knobby on your Harley and trench for a
drain in front of the shop, Snag. I used to borrow my buddy's Husky
450 for those needs, but I doubt you have one.

-
I am a Transfinancial--A rich person born in a poor person's body.
Please stop the hate by sending me money to resolve my money
identity disorder. --anon