Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington[_2_] David Billington[_2_] is offline

Default Cleaning a MIG liner

On 09/08/17 22:50, wrote:
On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 5:10:07 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:

No kinks , I have it out of the lead . I was thinking maybe a
kerosene soak as you suggested . Per your post above , it's not rusty in
the liner/lead/gun , it's the roll of wire inside the machine that has
some surface rust . It doesn't help that this machine lives on the lower
level of the cart I modified to carry the TIG setup . And sometimes when
it rains really really heavy a little water comes in under the door .

--

Snag

Gunners advice seems good to me. That is putting the wire in a container with dry gas. Well I am a cheap skate and would use some desiccant and a big zip lock bag.

Maybe you could kluge up a wiper for the wire. Just some cloth to clean off the wire as it is being feed.

Dan

I seem to recall it was Gunner that recommended folding up a Scotchbrite
pad and running the wire through that to take off surface contaminants,
works for me on the CCMS MIG wire. Living in the UK it's not exactly dry
and I've changed the wire liner once since 1986 and that was just
preventative maintenance, I've run a few 15kg wire spools in that time.