Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cleaning a MIG liner

On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 14:37:40 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 8/9/2017 2:20 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 14:02:47 -0500
Terry Coombs wrote:

I have one that's not feeding well , and wonder if it can - and
should - be cleaned . I have a new one on hand , but it's sized for
.035-.045 wire , and I usually use .025 solid . I have .035 flux core
loaded right now , but that was for an outside job that was blowing my
shield gas away and I'd much prefer to go back to solid - I also have
some .030 on hand but haven't yet tried it .

I've heard of guys doing it but usually it's just for finishing a job,
like on a weekend and no-obtanium till Monday...

I was working on a Miller 250MP last winter for a friend and I could
find replacement liners for ~$12 on Ebay. This was a liner for .024
to .035 wire. The only hard part was identifying the part number
needed. His gun wasn't easily recognizable and had the part numbers
worn off.

I think you should check replacement pricing first, don't think it will
be that much. Probably around $25 or less...

A new liner and drive roller came in the mail today from USAWeld .
Under 30 bucks for both delivered , $9/liner and $14/roller plus
shipping . The old liner has only had about 12-13 lbs of .025 wire thru
it . I suspect the problem is from infrequent use and some flash rust on
my wire . Try as I might , it's really hard to keep the humidity down in
the shop - I do have a 6k BTU AC unit out there , but don't run it all
the time due to the cost .

--

Snag

If you have a persistant rust problem...when done working with the
gun, fill a 50 cal ammo can or better yet..a 20 mm ammo can with
argon/c75 and carefuly coil the gun and hose in the can and close it.

It will be fine until the next time you use it.

Simply stick the gun in the can and pull the trigger for a minute or
so. It will force out the atmosphere and fill the can with argon/c75

---