Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default remove chimney and vent furnace outside

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 4:14:11 PM UTC-4, Iggy wrote:
replying to trader_4, Iggy wrote:
Just ridiculous nonsense! *A pair of nothings* that go out of their way to
crawl up someone's ass and try ever so unbelievably to call *them* the
asshole. Yeah, real original...you're not putrid disgusting scumbag filth
*trolls*, because you say so.

"Wah, Wah, Wah, you screwed up my anal retention!"

He said check codes! He said check codes! He said check codes! Means I'm not
telling you about clearances, but I mean there's clearances that you must know
about. So go crawl up the asses of the "morons" that repeatedly repeated his
abject vagueness and didn't do what I finally did.

The person asking the question was basically clueless and I doubt
your giving him some partial specs as to your wild guesses at
the venting requirements
will do much to solve his problem, especially 10 years later. Even you
said "talk to your HVAC guy". Duh! And are you SURE about that 3 ft
min distance to an opening? It's 3ft regardless of the size of the
furnace? Regardless of whether it's direct vent or not? But, heh,
I'm not the one telling him what the code is for his specific unknown
equipment and unknown location are, you are. I simply said that
others here 10 years ago told him that
codes and building permits typically apply. But since you're calling
others moron now, I'll point out to you that you're wrong, it's not
3 ft for any size furnace, to an opening, it can be as little as 1 ft clearance
from a vent to an opening according to the fuel gas code for the USA,
which most jurisdictions follow. Who's the moron that's misleading people
now?

All the below was stated to the poster:

"Start at the city hall building permits office.
For reasons of fire safety, you probably need
a permit to alter any existing furnace chimney."

"First, your furnace and hot water heater need to be specifically
designed for direct venting. As mentioned in a post above it might be
a good time to consider two new high efficiently units (furnace and hot
water heater).

Second, you need to be careful as to where the vent exits the house.
There are limits as to how close the vent can be to any upstairs
windows. Think of the vent gases as washing up the side of the house.
You cannot have the vented gasses draft back into the house thru
windows above the vent point. You many need to relocate the two new
units to another part of the basement to accommodate this very
important design criterion."

That was all there from 10 years ago. It all pointed the OP in the
right direction. Your 3 ft rule isn't correct. Wanna play some more?
Or quit while you're behind?