Posted to rec.woodworking
notbob notbob is offline

Default Cleaning Brass Post Office Box Doors

On 2017-08-08, Daniel m wrote:

[...] find a polish suitable for brass

No such thing!

Many moons ago, when I was still in the USAF fire dept, we hadda
polish a lot of brass, so I KNOW!

I remember when I was in Basic, our training barracks were so old, we
had brass bathroom fittings, which we hadda polish, of course. Our TI
(DI) told us to steal the bottles of Tabasco(TM) sauce off the mess
hall tables. We used it and it worked as good as can be expected by a
buncha dumb kids.

Months later, when I finally got assigned a duty station, I had enough
money to buy a can of Brasso(TM). You would think Brasso(TM) would work
better than crappy ol' Tabasco sauce. NO, it does not!!

The only thing that gets tarnish off of brass is "elbow grease"! IOW,
prepare to have a tired arm.

nb