Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Antenna rotator question

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
I don't think there's a single device available that does EPG
(electronic program guide) without bugs, added monthly costs, or
both. However, don't blame the guide vendor. Stations often change
their programming at the last moment for odd reasons (sponsor
pressure, current events, ongoing disaster coverage, etc).

The original EPG was a service provided by United Video
Cablevision's microwave division. Their computers were in Tulsa OK, and
they were linked to their WGN uplink in Chicago by a pair of leased
phone lines. One pair fed the data North to Chicago, while the second
echoed it back to their PDP -11 computers in Tulsa OK. It was
transmitted on a subcarrier along with WGN to CATV headends across the
country. The demod and processor was a 6502 based rack mounted computer
that put out NTSC color video. I got into a very heated argument with
the head of our Microwave division, as I told him how to uplink the
signal from the computer site, but leave it on the WGN transponder. He
told me it was impossible, so I told him that if he couldn't do it, he
should quit his job. Two months later, they announced the change, and
that HIS idea was saving the company over $15K per month for the leased
lines.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.